Amideast Education Abroad Needs-Based Scholarships are awarded for onsite programs in the form of a program fee reduction and range as follows:
- $1,000 to $5,000 for semester programs,
- $500 to $3,000 for summer programs, and
In exceptional circumstances, higher awards may be given. Learn more about the needs-based scholarships available for the virtual program.
ELIGIBILITY & APPLICATION
Funding is available only to citizens and permanent residents of the United States who are participating on an Amideast Education Abroad Program. Students must submit a completed scholarship application and a complete program application by the published deadlines.
Students planning on participating in the FIE/Amideast Conflict and the Struggle for Peace: Explorations in Ireland and the Middle East in Jordan are eligible only for FIE scholarships for the Peace and Conflict portion of the program. For more information, please visit the FIE Scholarship Page. Students who are planning on participating in the Arabic extension portion of this program may apply for Amideast Need-Based Scholarships.
Scholarship applications from all qualified students will be considered. However, preference will be given to applicants who fulfill one or more of the following criteria:
- First-generation college students and/or members of groups that historically have been underrepresented on study abroad programs including LGBTQIA+ individuals
- Demonstrated financial need
- Demonstrated academic excellence
- Currently enrolled at a college or university that is either a member of the Amideast Academic Consortium or an Amideast Affiliate.
Please note, the above criteria are NOT requirements for a scholarship applicant. Students from all institutions and backgrounds are eligible for Amideast Scholarships. Students are encouraged to use the essay portion of the application to explain in detail their eligibility and financial need. Amideast reserves the right to adjust scholarship awards should a student change their program participation.
To be considered for a Need-Based Scholarship, please submit:
- Scholarship Application Questionnaire
- Financial Aid Advisor Recommendation - You will need to send a request to a financial aid advisor at your institution to complete this form on your behalf.
- Final Product. Each recipient of an Amideast Need-Based Scholarship is required to submit a written, photo essay, or a creative product submission reflecting on their study abroad experience prior to the program end date. Visit our blog for examples.
- Multiple Awards. Scholarships are awarded for only one semester at a time. If you are an Academic Year student and receive a scholarship your first semester and would like to apply for a scholarship for your second semester, you must submit a new scholarship application by the published deadlines. In order for your scholarship to be finalized for your second semester, you must achieve a 3.0 GPA during your first semester with Amideast. Summer students are awarded one scholarship for the full summer, regardless of whether they are applying for one or two sessions. Students participating in two sessions are typically awarded larger scholarships than those participating in only one session.
DEADLINES FOR APPLICATION
Summer Programs: March 15
Fall/Academic Year Programs: April 15
Spring Programs: October 15
Receipt of a scholarship from Amideast may result in changes or reductions to the financial aid you receive from your home institution. We therefore strongly urge you to consult with your financial aid office prior to applying for an Amideast Education Abroad Scholarship to determine whether you might be affected by such a reduction or change. If you are awarded an Amideast Education Abroad Scholarship, we will inform the study abroad office at your home college or university; you are responsible for reporting any award to your financial aid office.