- Students must be Tunisian citizens residents of Tunisia.
- Students should have a record of high academic achievement demonstrated by an overall "B+" average (13/20) for the past three years (with no failing grades).
- Students must be currently enrolled in the First or Second year of secondary school (Tunisian Educational System), in Troisième or Seconde (French Educational System) AND between 15 and 17 years old by the time the program begins, next August 2022.
- Students should demonstrate maturity, good character, scholastic aptitude, flexibility, and commitment to promoting cross-cultural understanding.
- Students should have leadership qualities and demonstrate willingness to participate in the American host family's daily life.
- Students should meet the English proficiency requirement (minimum of 14/20 in English for the past three years).
- Students must not be U.S. citizens or permanent residents and were not born in the United States.
HOW TO APPLY
Complete the YES Preliminary Application ONLINE.
Attach the required documents to your application:
- High school registration certificate (شهادة حضور)
- Birth certificates (Arabic and French)
- Certified true copies of the official annual grade transcripts of the last three years
- 1 current photo
- Parental permission (Click here to download)
Incomplete applications will NOT be considered.
We are only accepting applications online. You do not have to submit a hard copy of the application to Amideast offices.
STUDENTS WITH DISABILITIES
The program can support students with disabilities and encourages their participation. The Department of State and the YES program work with Mobility International (MIUSA) to provide students with disabilities leadership-building workshops, appropriate information, and support as needed to enhance their year in the United States. Students with disabilities must also meet the above eligibility requirements.
YES application and selection process
There are multiple rounds to the YES application and selection process. All applicants are required to take an English proficiency exam, write proctored essays, complete a YES program application, and participate in group and individual in-person/virtual interviews. All candidates are selected on the basis of merit.
Pre-Application: Eligible students interested in applying are asked to fill out the Kennedy-Lugar YES preliminary application form available online. A complete application must contain: Kennedy-Lugar YES preliminary application form, certified true copies of the official annual grade transcripts of the last three years, high school registration certificate, birth certificates in Arabic and French, parental permission, and current passport-sized photo.
English Language Proficiency Test and Essays: Pre-selected applicants are invited to take an English Language Proficiency Test and write proctored essays.
Full Application: Selected applicants are invited to complete the full YES application.
In-person/virtual Interviews: Candidates who pass the English language proficiency exams and whose applications are accepted are invited for in-person group and individual interviews.
For more information on how to apply and to learn more about planned virtual information sessions, please contact the Exchange Program Department at Tunisexchange@amideast.org