The program’s curriculum strengthens English speaking, writing, listening, and reading skills, and extracurricular activities provide additional opportunities to improve English language proficiency as well as help build leadership skills and promote personal development. Activities include guest speakers, field trips for cultural activities (such as films, exhibitions, and concerts), and visits to a variety of organizations.
Access students who excel may qualify for special Access enrichment programs or scholarships such as the Kennedy-Lugar Youth Exchange and Study (YES) program.
The two-year curriculum will consist of 360 instructional hours as follows.
- English language instruction
- Public speaking training
- Cultural enrichment and development of leadership skills
- Community service activities
In order to be considered for the English Access Microscholarship Program, a student must meet all of the following requirements.
- Underprivileged/disadvantaged background
- Grade average of 90% or better overall as well as in English
- Enrolled in grade 9 or 10 in fall 2019
- Born before November 30, 2006
- NOT an American citizen or Green Card holder
- Committed and able to participate in a two-year English language training program beginning in January 2020 and ending in September 2021
- Willing to participate in American cultural enrichment and community service activities
- Resides in one of the following cities/districts
HOW TO APPLY
AMIDEAST is now accepting applications for the 2019-2021 English Access Microscholarship Program, funded by the U.S. Department of State. This two-year program is open to socioeconomically disadvantaged Palestinian youth in grades nine and ten in the West Bank and Gaza Strip who will study English, learn about American culture and society, and develop important skills that will benefit them academically and, in the future, professionally.
Obtain forms from AMIDEAST offices or download here.
- Grades/report card from the 2018–2019 academic year
- School recommendation completed and stamped by a school official
- Family and Financial Background Supplement
Completed applications must be delivered by hand to the AMIDEAST Ramallah, Jerusalem, Nablus, Hebron, or Gaza offices by November 17, 2019.