Kennedy-Lugar Youth Exchange and Study (YES) Program was established in October, 2002 and sponsored by the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs to provide scholarships for high school students (15-17 years) from countries with significant Muslim populations to spend up to one academic year in the U.S. The program is vital to expanding communication between the people of the United States and the partner countries in the interest of promoting mutual understanding and respect. Students live with host families, attend high school, engage in activities to learn about American society and values, acquire leadership skills, and help educate Americans about their countries and cultures.
YES SCHOLARS WILL HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO:
- Live with an American family
- Study at a U.S. high school
- Participate in a youth leadership training program
- Experience U.S. culture and society first hand
- Improve their English
- Make new friends
- Represent as Kuwait cultural ambassadors to the USA
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR 2021-2022 YES CYCLE
- Kuwaiti nationals of secondary school students who are currently enrolled in 9th or 10th Grade.
- Must be born between January 1, 2004 and August 1, 2007.
- Should demonstrate a high level of academic achievement.
- Minimum grade of "B" in all subjects for the past year; overall "B" average for the past three years
- Have not previously participated in an academic year or semester secondary school student exchange program in the United States
- Must NOT be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, or have been born in the United States
EXPENSES COVERED BY K-L YES SCHOLARSHIP
- Room and board
- Health insurance
- Pocket money – stipend of $125 USD per month
- Educational supplies
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for this year's KLYES Program,
Please fill out the preliminary application form by vising the link below:
Please attach the required documents to your application
School transcripts (for the last three years).
Application Deadline: November 23, 2021
For questions and inquiries, please WhatsApp (+965-90993374) or E-mail: YESkuwait@amideast.org
STUDENTS WITH DISABILITIES
The program can support students with disabilities and encourages their participation. The Department of State and the YES program work with Mobility International (MIUSA) to provide students with disabilities leadership-building workshops, appropriate information and support as needed to enhance their year in America. Students with disabilities must also meet the above eligibility requirements