We are not currently accepting applications. Please check this page for updates.
The application deadline for the 2014 academic year has passed. The information below is for reference purposes only. Check back during the fall 2014 for details about the 2015 academic year.
AMIDEAST administers the U.S. Department of State’s Youth Exchange and Study Program (YES), a scholarship program for high-school age students in the Middle East and Asia. The prestigious YES scholarships cover all major expenses, including airfare, room and board, health insurance, pocket money, and educational supplies. Scholarship recipients are selected on the basis of their applications and interviews with an interview panel. Disabled students are welcome and encouraged to apply.
In Yemen, up to 35 secondary-school students between the ages of 15 and 18 are selected every year to participate in the program. Once selected, AMIDEAST works with students for nearly eight months to assure that they are equipped with the necessary language, study, and life skills to participate in the ten-month exchange program. To date, over two hundred Yemeni students have participated in the YES Program since its inception in 2003.
- Reside in Yemen and possess Yemeni citizenship;
- Be currently enrolled in grades 9, 10, or 11;
- Obtain a sufficient score on an English language proficiency test;
- Demonstrate flexibility and a cmomitment to cross-cultural understanding;
- Commit to pre-departure activities, including English language study, community service activity, and skills tarining, starting in December 2013 and continuing until August 2014;
- Display an excellent or very good academic record and at least a 'good' in core subjects for the past three years and in the year preceding travel; and
- Be 15 years of age by August 1, 2014 and no older than 18.5 years old by August 1, 2014 (you were born after February 1, 1996 and not after August 1, 1999)
How to apply:
- Download and complete the preliminary YES application (see the Apply Now link or pick one up at our offices in either Sanaa or Aden);
- Return the complete pre-application and all required documents in person to AMIDEAST Sanaa or Aden by 4 P.M. Thursday, November 7, 2013.