AMIDEAST host countries each have their own unique history and regional characteristics that influence our programs. AMIDEAST seeks to embrace these aspects and ensure an enriching experience abroad by promoting language acquisition, intercultural learning, cultural immersion, and focusing on the safety and security of our students.
AMIDEAST Programs Components include:
- Content Courses: On semester programs, students choose 2-4 Area Studies courses taught in either English or French (depending on the program) from a wide range of disciplines.
- Excursions: Included in the program fee, program-organized excursions provide students a way to experience the Arab World first-hand, taking them places they might not otherwise be able to go.
- Housing and Meals: Housing and most meals are included as part of the program fee. Homestay options are available in all locations, with some alternative choices available as well.
- Intercultural Learning: AMIDEAST Education Abroad Programs are structured to include opportunities for students to develop their intercultural competence. Cultural dialogue sessions, language partners, and reflection periods are some of the offerings AMIDEAST provides to help students deepen intercultural understanding.
- Language Acquisition: Modern Standard Arabic, Colloquial Arabic, and Media Arabic are offered at multiple levels. Students are paired with local students as part of the Language partner Program in order to improve their conversation Arabic.
- Student Support: Students receive extensive support by means of pre-departure planning, in-country orientation, program-provided health insurance, assistance with the visa process, and staff support.
- Study Environment: Courses are taught in a U.S. format by local faculty. They are held in AMIDEAST’s local facilities with other students on the program.